Sunday, February 17
Yateley, UK


Thatcham Town Development 3-1 YUFC

Thatcham Town Development
Babbington, Carrington, Cattell, Cooper-Clark ⚽ 10′ (Frank), Downes (Appleton), Drammeh ⚽ 15′ (Ca Rocca ⚽ 70′), Goater, Harris, Melledew, Rees, Stanley
Not used: Waters

Yateley United
Lincoln, Allen (C. Wilcox), Brown, Domoney (King), Gibbons, Gosling, Read (c), Sharpe, Thomas (Stocchetti), H. Wilcox, M. White ⚽ 51′
Not used: Thornton

The first evening fixture of the season was wet and cold with a fine mist. Thatcham certainly started the better, putting Yateley on the defensive in their own half and seemingly unable to break out. 10 minutes in and a long ball over the top for Myles White to latch on to was the first real foray into the opposition half. Although he did manage to get a shot away, the goalkeeper dealt with it easily. The pressure eventually told after 20 minutes when Thatcham went 1-0 up and added to this very
quickly after when a low cross came off the retreating Harry Wilcox and into the net to make it 2-0 to the hosts.

Thatcham nearly went 3-0 up from a free kick that rattled the crossbar. By the end of the half, Yateley had started to create some attacks of their own and the just before half-time, Wilcox cut out a pass and the goalkeeper was brought into action to push the ball wide of the goal. From the resulting corner, Read headed back across the goal but the goalkeeper made a fingertip save to push over the bar.

(HT 2-0)

Virtually straight from kick off in the second half, Harry Wilcox had a long-range shot which slipped out of the goalkeeper’s hands and White followed up to make it 2-1. Still time for a comeback. A change in the system seemed to be working and 5 minutes in was a good move as Charlie Wilcox put through to Gosling who set White up, but this time the goalkeeper made no mistake with the save.

Soon after, Thatcham had a break which put 2 against one and looked a certain goal but for a great save by Josh Lincoln. White had another opportunity when his header from a free kick flashed wide. Thatcham’s next opportunity produced a superb save from Lincoln in goal as he tipped a ferocious shot over the bar. With 10 minutes to go, Thatcham made it 3-1 when a cut in from the left hand side saw a great goal into the top corner with the goalkeeper having no chance. Before the end of the game, White broke into the box but again the Thatcham goalkeeper saved the shot.

As the old saying goes a game of 2 halves. The first was dominated by Thatcham and could have been more than 2-0 but for some good defending. The second half was much more even with chances at both ends, some good goalkeeping and saves from both keepers with Lincoln probably shaving the save of the match. The change of system created some more attacking football from Yateley and on another day they may have come away with a draw. Harry Brown and Tom Sharpe were excellent in the centre of defence with positioning and composure – a very assured performance
from both.

Yateley United First Team’s next fixture is at home in the league against Virginia Water Development on Saturday 24th November, 14:15 kick off.

Leave a Reply