Saturday, January 19
Yateley, UK


YUFC 2-0 Chalvey Sports Reserves

Goalscorers: Allen, C. Wilcox

Man of the Match: Harry Brown

We welcomed Chalvey Sports Reserves in our first home game in the Hellenic League, and the first at our new adopted home for the season – Cody Sports & Social Club. Both teams had kicked off the season with a late winner last week, so were looking to build on a winning start in front of a decent crowd.

With Myles White missing the game through injury, Yateley youngster James King was given his first senior team start upfront following his effective substitute appearance last week. Allen, Brown & Gosling all also came in for their first starts of the season.

The game took a while to settle, with Yateley not at their sharpest and a bit slow getting into their stride. With Chalvey Sports starting energetically, a combination of these two factors let the visitors in for a couple of chances, but following on from his top performance last week, Currey in the Yateley goal stood tall and kept them at bay.

The pace of Chalvey winger, TJ Mataz, was a threat down United’s left hand side and this resulted in a penalty being given as in the 19th minute he went down under a challenge from Domoney. Currey saved the ensuing penalty and then followed it up with an excellent save on the rebound – which was a good job as he was faced with 4 unopposed Chalvey players following up on the penalty.

Yateley now began to settle into the game with Harry Wilcox and Dan Gosling starting to get on the ball in midfield; Ben Read‘s marauding runs down the right flank looking particularly dangerous, and King linking up play well up top. The rest of the first half played out with Yateley getting a grip on the game but without threatening Chalvey’s goal too much – a few long range efforts and corners that came to nothing. 0-0 at half-time was a fair score line.

The 2nd half kicked off with Yateley making one change, moving our very own ‘Burnley bullet’ ‘Readi’ up front and Will Bidlake coming on on the right for his first appearance of the season. Yateley controlled the majority of the 2nd half, playing some attractive football at times, with Brown and Sharpe providing the platform by taking full control at the back, and the team generally keeping their discipline well.

Our patience was rewarded in the 61st minute, if a bit fortuitously, when Gibbons‘ well struck effort from 25 yards took a big deflection off Allen who was loitering just inside the box and left the Chalvey ‘keeper, Matt Brophy, with no chance as it rolled into the corner of the net.

Yateley’s opening goal was quickly followed by the first experience of a Yateley player being ‘sin-binned’ as Harry Wilcox was forced to sit out for 10 mins after his reaction to a very poor challenge from the Chalvey left back, Reece Brophy. Lessons to be learnt here as this potentially put Yateley on the back foot just after taking the lead, but United saw the period out well with Dec dropping into the middle of the park to cover effectively.

With 10 minutes left on the clock, Yateley’s pressure resulted in 2 free kicks in dangerous areas on the edge of the Chalvey box. The first saw Gibbons hit the target but Brophy was equal to it in the Chalvey goal. The 2nd, however, saw Yateley skipper Charlie Wilcox step up and – much to the surprise of most watching, and maybe even Charlie himself – stroke the ball into the top right corner and effectively seal the game.

United saw the rest of the game out professionally, keeping their cool as some of the visitors’ frustrations threatened to boil over. Chalvey skipper, Rob Paget, was sent to the sin bin with 5 minutes remaining but the game was gone and Yateley came out with a 2-0 win!

Some notable performances today from Currey in the Yateley goal, the versatile ‘Readi‘, and Sharpey at the back, but ‘Supporters’ Man of the Match’ was rock solid centre half Harry Brown who was cool as a cucumber throughout.

Match Programme

Leave a Reply