Friday, March 22
Yateley, UK


YUFC 3-3 Risborough Rangers Reserves

Yateley United
GK Currey, Allen ⚽, Gosling, King, Read, Russell, Sharpe, Stocchetti, Thornton, M. White ⚽⚽, C. Wilcox (c)
Subs used: Holden, Mynard, H. Wilcox
Not used: Thomas

Risborough Rangers Reserves
GK Symonds, Battams, Deakin, Firth, Hurford-Green ⚽, Hatt (c), A. Hockley, Jenkins, Lewis ⚽, Merriman, Woodroffe
Subs used: Bressington, J. Hockley, Nicholls

With winter starting to set in as Yateley welcomed Risborough, it was a little nippy to say the least. After their spirited extra time cup performance last week, Yateley were looking to build on this and get back to the league to chase 3 points.

A really bright start as Yateley came out of the blocks on the offensive. They looked sharp and moved the ball around with some crisp passing. They were very combative in the middle of the park, winning tackles and headers accordingly with Chris Thornton in particular standing out. Joe Stocchetti came close with a headed effort cleared off the line before some good play between Tom Sharpe and James King resulted in a fine cross from Sharpe to find Myles White who produced a good finish.

10 minutes in and Yateley were 1-0 up. With YUFC the more productive at this stage, it did not take long before they added another. A terrific tackle from Thornton sent the ball out to Dec Allen on the right who displayed some lovely footwork to take it around 2 defenders and the goalkeeper before rolling the ball into the goal. 15 minutes gone, 2-0 up and looking good. Myles White then had a great chance when through one-on-one with the Risborough goalkeeper, Symonds, who made a good save.

Halfway into the first half and Risborough started to get more into the game, closing down quicker and changing tack. 38 minutes gone and a long Risborough free kick from the half way line out to the left was passed back across the goal which Yateley failed to clear and was tapped in by Ben Lewis to make it 2-1. Then, just before half time, a Risborough shot produced a fine save from George Currey who managed to push the ball against the crossbar, only for the rebound to fall at the advancing Risborough striker, Curtis Woodroffe’s feet to tap in – 2-2. There was just enough time left for James King to have a shot blocked on the line before the half came to an end.

(HT 2-2)

Yateley really needed to find the form they showed for the first 25 minutes and retake control of the game. However, within minutes of the second half starting a Risborough corner was punched clear by Currey only for a speculative lob back into the area by Chris Hurford-Green to clear everyone and land in the goal. Risborough were now in front.

Allen played a lovely ball through to White who was fouled at the edge of the area. The free kick was deflected over the bar by Symonds and from the resulting corner, Myles Whites’ fine header hit the crossbar. Risborough had a good chance when put through and the lobbed shot produced another great save from Currey.

Yateley gradually ramped up the pressure and for the last 20 minutes were virtually camped in the Risborough half. With 15 minutes to go, an excellent cross from substitute Josh Mynard found Myles White whose assured header back across the goal gave Yateley the deserved equaliser. During the last 10 minutes, Yateley pushed for the win and Risborough were hanging on. Shots and crosses were now bouncing around the Risborough penalty area; Allen had a header saved, Ben Read had a shot blocked and Charlie Wilcox had shot that just cleared the bar. Read had another shot that went wide and Harry Wilcox had a free kick that went close.

Yateley will feel they should have had 3 points having being in charge for the first 25 minutes and totally dominant for the last 15. Risborough did well to hang on at the end and Yateley were unlucky not to win. Another time they will not play as well and still walk away with the result. Roll on next week.

Yateley United First Team’s next fixture is at home in the Hampshire Intermediate Cup to Overton United F.C. on Saturday 3rd November, 14:00 kick off.

Match Gallery

Match Programme

VIDEO: Myles White equalises to make it 3-3

Leave a Reply